Taking a 21st-century approach
||The DWP Digital Writing Sandbox
||July-August 2013, January-February 2014, May 2014, additional classroom work in fall 2013 and spring 2014
||For teachers and other educators interested in integrating writing and technology
, the Dakota Writing Project Digital Writing Marathon provides educators with a thoughtful, intensive, collaborative exploration of a variety of technology environments and strategies for integrating writing and adapting these technologies appropriately for the classroom. The marathon is offered entirely online, with both synchronous (real-time) and asynchronous communication and activities, with the majority of online work occurring in July 2013, January 2014, and May 2014. The marathon is taught by Dakota Writing Project teacher-consultants with extensive experience in integrating writing and technology for the classroom.
- Examine a variety of technology environments in depth, exploring and writing;
- Read, discuss, and write reflections on the required text Using Technology to Improve Adolescent Writing: Digital Make-Overs for Writing Lessons by Liz Stephens and Kerry Ballast.
in synchronous (real-time) chats with other teachers about these
technology environments and how best to use them in the classroom;
- Develop and implement lesson plans using one or more of these technologies;
- Share what they experienced and learned from implementing these lesson plans;
- Compose a text in which they reflect on the Digital Writing Sandbox experience.